Thursday, March 7, 2013

My Broken Heart...

Let me start off by saying that I apologize for being selfish and not sharing a blog post with you all on Thursday and Friday. I really tried to find something to say to encourage you all and to encourage myself but I've been so blocked off, not really wanting to deal with life this week.

On Monday, you all were so kind to offer up prayers for my friend, not knowing him or his circumstance. I really appreciate it and I'm sure he did too. The friend I was referring to was Al, my boss of the last 6 years. Your prayers were effective, for he has been healed and restored...on the other side. He  is in a much better place now and has gone on to be with the Lord.

It all happened so fast. I remember hearing a few details about what was going on so I prayed and asked you all to pray too. Then I went on to an appointment and on the way back to the office I got the terrible news and didn't think it was true. When I finally got back into the office I could feel that it was indeed very true when I walked inside. My heart broke again that day. And it's still broken.

I'll never forget my first day working for Al.  Back in March 2007 in my senior year at USC, I was walking to one of my classes when I got a text message from Fran asking me if I knew of anyone that needed a part time job.  I texted her back and was like, "Uh Me!". She told me to come to the office the next day to start working, doing little administrative things. The next day, I went to the office and had an interview with Al. When it was over, I was sent home and I was so confused because I went there ready to work. Once I left Fran tried to figure out why I was sent home. When she figured it out, it was just a miscommunication, she told Al that I came ready to work that day so he told her to tell me to come on back. Then when I graduated from USC in May 2007, I was still employed there. I had been lazy and hadn't really applied for any other jobs but it God had a plan. I remember stopping by to pick up my check before heading out to Bike Week (my pre-saved days) and Al asked me if I'd like to be trained as a paralegal and of course I said yes!! I was forever grateful to him because He'd given me my first real job as a college graduate. I know this job was for me because I've learned A LOT and I've met some of the most memorable people and I have formed lifelong friendships/familyships with my coworkers, past and present.

Who would have known that I'd only get to know him for 6 years? I know people have to often dig to find nice things to say about people when they pass away, but I can assure you this is not the case. I know for a fact that I will never, ever, ever have another boss like him. He was the sweetest, most humble person I'd ever met. He didn't fuss nor did he complain. In the 6 years that I've worked for him, I never saw him angry or upset. His compassion for people grew deep and he was so loving. I remember when my dad passed away in 2010, he came all the way to the country town of Guyton, GA for the funeral, not because he felt obligated to but because he cared. There were many times when he'd catch me crying and he'd make me come in his office, even when I'd lie and say I was okay, so that he could give me words of encouragement. I could talk to him when I needed to vent and he'd give me sound wisdom. I could go to him for all kinds of advice, ESPECIALLY spiritual. He was a true man of God. I even could confide in him and not worry about being judged.

He was buried yesterday and it's still unreal. I know some people may say, "He was just your boss". But he wasn't just my boss, he was my family. Al told his staff that he loved us (and we loved him back) and he treated us like nothing short of family. Two of his nieces worked for him and they'd call him "Uncle Al", and sometimes I'd call him that too. He'd chuckle and say, "Ahh listen at you" and he really didn't mind. In fact, I could call any of his brothers and sisters "Aunt and Uncle" and they didn't mind. They are just that loving. He went above and beyond for us. No one will ever know the lengths he went to in order to help his staff. We will miss him tremendously.

My heart really aches but still goes out to his family, his friends and us, his staff. We did not expect this to happen so soon but we know that God makes no mistakes. It's going to be hard going to the office everyday knowing he won't be there ever again, but I know Heaven is smiling something big right now because a soldier has come home. I thank God and find peace and consolation in knowing that he is fully restored and no longer has to fight with physical infirmities. To Him be ALL Glory through it all!!!

"And the ransomed of the Lord shall return, and come to Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away." -Isaiah 35:10

"There indeed is NO sorrow that Heaven cannot heal."

1 comment:

  1. Know I am super late with getting caught up on your posts, but I am sorry to hear of your loss. My Mother Graduated Benedict alongside AL and She called me the day after he died asking if i knew who he was (because I too work at a Law Firm and my Mother thinks that I am supposed to automatically know anyone else that has or currently works at a Firm) and I didnt even think to put 2 and 2 together because i was aware that you worked for the Danley firm but for some reason it didnt click until afterwards.But my Mother spoke highly of him as well she was torn up that she would not be able to make the funeral. Glad you have so many fond memories of him to be reminded of him. I pray for your continued strength during the healing process...

    ReplyDelete