Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Filling the Void

Somehow between yesterday and the early hours of this morning, my Yahoo! email account was hacked and just about everyone on my contact list got a strange link from me. Now, I barely log on to my Yahoo! account from the desktop, but I would always check the box that says "keep me logged on to this computer". I'm the only one that uses that computer so I still don't know how I got hacked. The only way I caught it was because the "hacker" sent me a  spam link to my Gmail account. Needless to say, I had to change my password quickly.

If I hadn't left my account logged on to that computer that probably would not have happened. This incident made me think of the times we have allowed ourselves to remain "open" in areas we are supposed to allow God to fill. God delivers us from the struggles of bad relationships, situations and/or habits and instead of seeking Him and digging into His Word, we leave that space void giving the enemy the opportunity to come in seven times stronger than before. He took it from us so that we could take in more of Him. Matthew 12:43-45 tells us that, "When an evil spirit comes out of a person, it goes through dry places looking for a place to rest. But it doesn’t find any. Then it says, ‘I’ll go back to the home I left.’ When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean, and in order. Then it goes and brings along seven other spirits more evil than itself. They enter and take up permanent residence there. In the end the condition of that person is worse than it was before. That is what will happen to the evil people of this day.” Thinking of this happening is extremely frightening. It's not limited to a demon either. That man or woman you left can return, if the void they left isn't filled and it'll be harder to get rid of them and/or the urges to indulge in that bad habit you kicked, can resurface and it'll be even harder to kick it again. Old habits die hard and come back strong if we don't clean up right. This why it is so important that we allow God to fill every aspect of our life. 

While cleaning up your life, I encourage you to replace every dark hole with the Son. He's the only one that will fill and illuminate every dark area of your life.

Today's Prayer:

Lord help me do a clean sweep of my life. In every area that I have left the door open or cracked, please close it and fill it with nothing but You. Thank You in Advance. Amen.

“Just cleaning up one’s life without filling it with God leaves plenty of room for Satan to enter.  The book of Ezra records how the people rid themselves of idolatry but failed to replace it with love for God and obedience to him.  Ridding our life of sin is the first step.  We must also take the second step: filling our life with God’s Word and the Holy Spirit.  Unfilled and complacent people are easy targets for Satan.” -Bible Note



4 comments: